RE: Complicated Disclosure Scenario

From: Parity (parityat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 18 2002 - 13:25:31 PST

    	Instead of going public, how about getting a hand from someone who can
    help you fully understand the bug and its ramifications?

    	One problem vendors have to deal with is that only about 5% of
    vulnerabilities reported to them are for real -- the rest are pranks,
    misunderstandings, or people with creative definitions of what security ought
    to be.  For every Weld Pond or Rain Forest Puppy who provides detailed,
    verifiable reports, there's another 19 Steve Gibsons telling anyone who'll
    listen that support for raw sockets is a vulnerability.

    	I'm sure someone here on vuln-dev would be willing to help you explore
    the technical issue in a private forum.  If it turns out to be for real, then
    you can notify the vendor and expect them to respond to your updated report in
    a timely manner.  (Though I would consider the date of notification to be when
    you serve them the updated report, and not the day when you first contacted
    them with only preliminary data.)

    	On the other hand, shame on this vendor for not following up on the
    DoS aspect of this bug.  If you've demonstrated to the vendor that you've got
    a DoS attack attack, then you wouldn't be too out-of-line in publishing it as
    such.

    	pty