Re: [NGSEC] Whitepaper Released: Polymorphic shellcodes vs. ApplicationIDSs

From: Pavel Kankovsky (peakat_private)
Date: Sun Jan 27 2002 - 13:21:13 PST

    On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Robert Flicker wrote:

    > His ideas revolve around counting multiple NOP type operations in a row and
    > alerting when a threshold is reached. The idea has been kicked around for a
    > while, but this is the first one that I have seen in actual implementation.

    The time has come to replace nop with another harmless instruction?
    Let's say, "inc %eax" on i386 (assuming the shellcode does not need to
    know the original value of %eax)? Or "mov $0x40b048b4, %eax"?
    (The explanation is left as an exercise to any reader who has got a
    disassembler.)

    --Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
    "Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."