Re: [NGSEC] Whitepaper Released: Polymorphic shellcodes vs.ApplicationIDSs

From: Gerardo Richarte (core.lists.exploit-dev@core-sdi.com)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 12:09:29 PST

    Pavel Kankovsky wrote:

    > The time has come to replace nop with another harmless instruction?

        On the same lines we've been talking about this with some friends and coworkers,
    i'll just add another $0.02 in the name of all this ppl :)

        is    nop                         a nop?, sure man!
        is    inc %eax                 a nop?, erm... well... yes
        is    mov $1,%al            a nop?, yessss...
        is    mov %esp, %ebp   a nop? well.. yes..

        what is a nop?

        as futo said...

        is a quicksort routing a nop?
        is Windows NT mostly a nop?

        as futo and cmg said:

        determining what a nop is is harder than the halting problem, or at least, equivalent

        I think we have to go back to antivirus, we need to take a look at what antiviral companies
    learned, and use that knowledge.

        I don't like some of the methods very much, for example some of them create a virtual
    machine and execute the suspected program in a sand box (http://www.softland.com.ar/Info/NAV/NAV4net.htm and http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.com/article.cfm?articleid=11&EID=1 for example).
        I wouldn't recomend that, but anybody can use it :)

        And as for the alignment problem, on a lot of exploits you know if you are returning to an address
    aligned to 4 or not...

        well.. as i said, just some more $0.02

        gera

    PS:
       .byte    0xb0
    a:
       .byte    0xb8
       call    a
       .byte    0xc0
       pop    %eax:

    --- for a personal reply use: Gerardo Richarte <geraat_private>