Re: CSS, CSS & let me give you some more CSS

From: SiLenCe (acid_rainat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 16:39:52 PST

    Cross-site scripting vulnerabilities - If you think of more of the name it makes slightly more since.

    Cross-site scripting is an exploit against the Client that exist on the server (there's tons others so don't classify Cross-Site Scripting as the only one).

    Basic Details | A remote site or any other remote user that can manipulate the 'target' into viewing a page could be the exploiter.  The exploiter's use of a CCS vulnerability is to be able to run code on the victims machine with the privelages of the domain.

    More Details On That | The exploiter can run scripts or whatever necessary with the privelages of the CCS vulnerable domain.  How does this benefit the exploiter?  Probally the most noted and popular use is for Cookie Hijacking.  Cookies for Hotmail is stored on the msn.com domain (It was moved back from passport.com when the passport issue arose - don't know details on that and that's off topic anyway).  Now if the exploiter exploited a cross-site script on MSN.COM (and there is some I've found a few but I'm a dick and don't share, just trust me, all you have to do is look for them and you find them - coders are morons same is for YAHOO.COM and probally many others) to retrieve the cookies and submit them to his own server, he has access to the cookies which means he has access to your session, since probally +95% of popular email services use cookie authentication (and most likely 100% that support HTML mail for security reasons) to verify a log in.  Also cookies are popular for Forum verification in message boards.  Another thing that is possible for a cookie is not only a session but sometimes a forum or whatever stores the username and password as a cookie.  Then of course cookies aren't the only thing to use it for.  A target can use it as a social engineering scenario where it prompts the user for something within a trusted domain.  Also a rare case (yet possible) scenario would be exploiting a CSS vulnerability on a 'Trusted Domain' where the script could do more privelaged actions like who knows file access or something.

    That's a CSS in a bottle.  I dont know if that was any help but your the judge.

    -SiLenCe
    ICQ# : 53229131
    E-Mail : acid_rainat_private