Re: ssh

From: Jose Nazario (joseat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 12:10:43 PST

    On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Olaf Kirch wrote:

    > I understand the maths behind this, but I can't quite see a practical
    > attack. If the attacker wants to guess a plaintext block P_i
    > transmitted by the SSH client, he must feed his plaintext block
    > P_(i+1) to the ssh client on standard input, so that it is properly
    > encrypted and then transmitted. This implies a great deal of control
    > over the client process (such as the ability to write to the client's
    > standard input).

    > Maybe I'm dense, but I can't think of many scenarios where an attacker
    > can get this type of control.

    it is for the paranoid, however, i think its pretty easy to predict P_i
    based on the UNIX shell prompt, for example, or the /etc/motd banner.
    these strings haev a high degree of certainty of coming up, it would
    strike me, making this attack not as far fetched as i think you're seeing
    it.

    this is just my take on it, though, and i could be wrong. olaf, you're a
    far brighter guy at this than i am, so ... maybe i'm entirely off base.

    jose nazario						     joseat_private
    	      	     PGP: 89 B0 81 DA 5B FD 7E 00  99 C3 B2 CD 48 A0 07 80
    				       PGP key ID 0xFD37F4E5 (pgp.mit.edu)