RE: Infecting the KaZaA network? (moving here thread from 'traq)

From: Benjamin P. Grubin (bgrubinat_private)
Date: Wed Feb 13 2002 - 16:52:33 PST

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the *client* that verifies the
    final MD5 of the assembled file?

    In order for a MITM attack to be successful, the initial download of the
    stub from kazaa must be trojaned.  This is done from the kazaa website
    (or CNET download.com).  Later on, once Kazaa is fully installed, and
    you are downloading executables, then it's a different story.

    While this may in fact be possible (as the cited post about the FBI and
    Magic Lantern suggests), this is no longer a Kazaa-specific
    vulnerability, but instead the same generic issue we face with any
    downloaded executable.  This was obviously brought to the forefront by
    the imporperly issued Microsoft code signing key that issued in error
    some time ago.

    Trusting downloaded software is a difficult proposition.  The MS code
    signing key debacle showed that even a trusted third party has "oops"es
    and undoubtedly is vulnerable to arm-twisting by <insert three-letter
    agency here>.

    Cheers,
    Ben

    http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/245693

    Hint: That's why the PGP documentation suggests key signing parties and
    verifying the footprint *over the phone*.
    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer