slocate bug.

From: Ehud Tenenbaum (analyzerat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 00:09:32 PST

    Hey,

    Its a good time to announce that 2xs security LTD. decided to
    create a research team in order to focus on finding new bugs,
    further more we managed to develop a security tool to discover
    bugs/security flaws. In the near future, the tool itself will became
    an open source project.

    slocate (Secure locate) coming with the default installation in redhat
    linux suid to slocate.

    bash-2.05$ ls -al /usr/bin/slocate
    -rwxr-sr-x    1 root     slocate     20880 dec 18  2000 /usr/bin/slocate

    bash-2.05$ slocate -r `perl -e 'print "A" x 65026'`
    Segmentation fault

    bash-2.05$ slocate -r `perl -e 'print "A" x 65025'`
    [...] no segfault [...]

    We found non exploitble bug which pointed out by KoSak (Cabezon Aurélien
    aurelien.cabezonat_private)

    the segfault is due to a null pointer,
    because regcomp() will return 0 when the buffer is bigger
    than 65028 bytes -> then, regerr() will be called but the
    programmer forgot to allocate his errbuf variable,
    so it is called with errbuf=NULL. (See line 1193, main.c).

    should anyone have questions or comments you can email us:

    analyzerat_private
    izikat_private
    mixterat_private

    --