Re: Infecting the KaZaA network? (moving here thread from 'traq)

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 08:31:03 PST

    On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 19:52:33 EST, you said:
    > Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it the *client* that verifies the
    > final MD5 of the assembled file?

    Correct, but it needs something to compare it to..

    > In order for a MITM attack to be successful, the initial download of the
    > stub from kazaa must be trojaned.  This is done from the kazaa website

    Also correct.  Notice however that if the initial stub is compromised,
    it's "game over".  The kazaa scheme *is* certainly much more secure than
    not doing anything at all, and *does* close down most of the vulnerabilities
    quite nicely - but it *is* still vulnerable to a number of fairly obvious
    attacks.

    > Trusting downloaded software is a difficult proposition.  The MS code
    > signing key debacle showed that even a trusted third party has "oops"es
    > and undoubtedly is vulnerable to arm-twisting by <insert three-letter
    > agency here>.

    Also correct, and my point - simply saying "it *must* be safe because it
    made some attempt to protect itself" has its own vulnerabilities, and that
    there needs to be an out-of-band way to verify what's going on.

    I don't mind if people say "OK, kazaa's scheme is secure enough for
    me, my threat model doesn't include the sort of subterfuge required".
    It's just the implication that since kazaa does X, Y, and Z, that the
    download is guaranteed safe.

    Remember - just because Larry Ellison says Oracle is "unbreakable",
    doesn't mean it is so.  ;)

    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer