RE: Firewall-1 and ISA D.o.S.

From: Jim Harrison (SPG) (jmharrat_private)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 08:53:50 PST

    Interesting DoS (similar in concept to the UDP flood that thorat_private reported a few months ago), but how would you have the developers deal with it?
    Every packet that is seen by any firewall takes some CPU time to examine and decide what to do with it.
    Granted, under normal circumstances, this processing overhead is "assumed" and the performance specs for the device take that into account.
    <rant>
    Under situations where there is some jerk in the LAN that has decided to dump his job and leaves such a bomb lying in wait (really stupid to do it while he's still there), it's easily blocked at the network level so that the firewall doesn't have to deal with it.  Tracking down this sort of game is comparatively simple and I'd personally take great pleasure in defenestrating that particular jackass.
    </rant>

    * Jim Harrison
    MCP(NT4, 2K), A+, Network+
    Services Platform Group

    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.