Re: Problem with xkill

From: Michel Arboi (arboiat_private)
Date: Sat Mar 23 2002 - 07:05:33 PST

     --- Anthony Gruppuso <AGruppusat_private> a écrit :
    > but what amazed me, was the my xkill process, as a
    > normal user, was able to kill a process that did not belong to me.

    As others have already told you, xkill does not kill the process, it
    just shuts down the connection between the client and the X server.

    > if the xkill binary was setuid root, but it was not.

    You miss something fundamental here: X is a _network_ protocol. That
    you are root, administrator or whoever on your machine does not mean
    anything to the remote X server.

    > This is definatley not a good 'feature.' :)

    Yes it is. You should control access to your X server with xhost,
    xauth, and options like -nolistentcp
    Otherwise, worse things could happen like somebody grabing your
    passwords.