Re: JAVA more insecure than true compiled code?

From: Hack Hawk (hughat_private)
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 10:49:37 PST

    At 05:17 AM 04/05/2002, steven.sporenat_private wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I was wondering what people's thoughts are regarding the security of code
    >written in JAVA, I recently reverse engineered a product with a freely
    >available JAVA decoder and found that it produced code with variable names
    >imports etc, making it very easy to find out how it hung together. Could
    >this be construed as a security flaw with JAVA?

    I wouldn't call it a flaw, but its definitively a deterrent to using JAVA
    in certain situations.

    Your comments are the *exact* reason why I use c/c++ instead of JAVA for
    certain applications.  Of course I understand that binary executables
    compiled from c/c++ can be disassembled and reverse engineered too.  But it
    is orders of magnitude more difficult to do, and there's far less people
    capable of doing such a thing.

    James Washer said...
     >> security-through-obscurity

    The choice to use c/c++ instead of JAVA is in deed an choice to ADD
    obscurity on top of real security.  Obscurity can be a good thing so long
    as it's not the ONLY thing your security relies on.

    - hawk