Re: combinations of 4

From: martin f krafft (madduckat_private)
Date: Sun Apr 07 2002 - 13:09:14 PDT

    also sprach KF <dotslashat_private> [2002.04.07.0301 +0200]:
    > I am in the process of archiving power pc instructions that do not
    > contain null... I have come to the decision that if I could generate a
    > list of all possible unique 4 char combinations for a given list of
    > alpha numeric chars then I could quickly sort the rest out in gdb...
    >
    > My question is does anyone know how to programatically do this? Do i
    > need to make use of bit shifting or something? I need only a program to
    > print the list to the screen or something simple. Example output would
    > be ...
    >
    > AAAA
    > BBBBB
    > AAAB
    > AAAC
    > and so on but ONLY unique posibilities.

    uhm, since you are talking combinations:

      #!/bin/sh
      CHARS="A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z"
      for q in "$CHARS"; do
        for r in "$CHARS"; do
          for s in "$CHARS"; do
            for t in "$CHARS"; do
              echo $q$r$s$t
            done
          done
        done
      done

    permutations are harder. maybe i am also confusing the two. but for
    permutations, the c++ standard template library provides algorithms...

    and best of all, it's already sorted ;)

      \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net@madduck

    prepBut nI vrbLike adjHungarian! qWhat's artThe adjBig nProblem?
                                                   -- alec flett @netscape