Re: cross site scripting ?

From: Slow2Show (sl2shoat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 16:56:21 PDT

    <quote src=http://httpd.apache.org/info/css-security>
    Q: Why the name "Cross Site Scripting"?
    A: This issue isn't just about scripting, and there isn't
    necessarily anything cross site about it. So why the name?
    It was coined earlier on when the problem was less
    understood, and it stuck. Believe me, we have had more
    important things to do than think of a better name.
    </quote>

    IMHO the "cross site" nature of XSS comes from the fact
    that you are forwarding the trust level of one site to
    another (from vuln site to attacker’s site). This is the
    case in well known and common "transient XSS". The case you
    discuss..."When one puts a javascript in a message"...or
    injecting any attacker defined content in general, is
    a "permanent XSS". All XSS attacks are derived from these
    two basic types. As marc from apache.org points out, the
    term isn’t well named…for a various number of reasons, but
    it just stuck.

    So basicly don’t worry about the messed up
    nomenclature....just keep putting out good Advisories frog
    frog!!

    Lata,

    -Slow2Show-
    University of Florida