Re: SECURITY CAMERA WAR DRIVING

From: Ron DuFresne (dufresneat_private)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 13:37:28 PDT

    YEs, I cover this in the paper I have ready for release once I find
    a proper forum for publishing it out to.  From that paper:

    Another perspective on information traversing the airwaves comes from an
    article in the local papers recently here,  The Durham herald Sun, Sunday
    April 14 2002, titled:  Nanny-cams make homes vulnerable, reprinted from
    the New York Times, by John Schwartz.  The article relates the current use
    of X10 and XCam2 devices being heavily marketed on the web as home
    security and small business solutions.  These wireless devices are
    sniffable in the same fashion as wireless networking devices are,
    offering the sniffer full video feedback, they incorporate no encryption
    what-so-ever.  The authors talked to Clifford S. Fishman a law professor
    at
    the Catholic University of America and an author himself of a leading work
    on surveillance law, Wiretapping and Eavesdropping.  Professor Fishman
    mentions there are clear laws on such eavesdropping, most current laws
    deal with the interceptions of sound, not video, and most are geared
    towards the telephone systems and their signal processing.

    		<c> Ron DuFresne 2002

    The article sighted mentions how easy one can scarf up a video feed from
    one of these devices.  giving a direct picture to whatever these toys are
    pointed to observe.  It's a good read, I'd go search out the original
    article.

    Thanks,

    Ron DuFresne