Re: Wlan @ bestbuy is cleartext?

From: Jonathan E. Katz (jonathanat_private)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 16:50:29 PDT

    > I worked at a Best Buy, and while this is a concern, you shouldn't be afraid to tell them about this.
    >
    > Here's my suggestion. Take your laptop, go to the security counter up front. Ask to speak to the Security lead, or the on-duty manager or sales manager. Wait there, then briefly explain what you found and how you came about it.
    > Explain that you were doing it only as a test for your new card, and they shouldn't have any problem with that bit.
    > Then explain that this information is being sent outside of the building, and that you, as a customer find this very worrying and you feel that will discourage you from shopping at a Best Buy in the future. This will really perk them up and they prolly will ask for the data on a disk, and then have you erase it from your laptop.
    >
    > They were really nice people and I can see something like this being a concern for them.

    Not to go off topic here, but, the demo to the store just strikes me as a
    bad way to go about this...  Forget the fact that Best Buy likes to arrest
    people now for odd things...
    (
    http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=31635&threshold=4&commentsort=0&tid=98&mode=thread&cid=3403140
    http://hypothermia.gamershardware.com/articles/bb_arrest.html
    )

    But I can only assume that the wrong guy would call the cops...
    And most of the good people will:
      a) not care
      b) arent in a position to do something if they did...

    Want to do this?  Leak an anonymous tip the Channel 9 news, demo it for
    them anonymously.... Let mass media fix the problem for you....