Re: Wlan @ bestbuy is cleartext?

From: Blue Boar (BlueBoarat_private)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 18:07:17 PDT

    Michael Cunningham wrote:
    > Well I finished my drive around town.. within feet
    > of several Walmarts, Home Depots and Kmart's front door and found
    > nothing. Nada, no 802.11b networks at all. Perhaps this is only
    > a regional thing? Or just brand new stores? These stores
    > have been around for years. Perhaps the original poster
    > could elaborate a bit on where they are located? Is it a
    > new store? etc.

    Reply from 2nd anonymous poster:

    It's odd that you didn't find anything.  On 12/22/2000, Wal-Mart and
    Symbol Technologies Inc. inked a deal to put 802.11b POS and inventory
    equipment into wal-mart stores "to shorten time at the cash register."

    http://www.wirelessnewsfactor.com/perl/story/?id=6289

    Either it's regional, they are only using 802.11b at newer stores, or
    your equipment may have been setup improperly.

    And later:

    Nope, it isn't regional according to that press release.

    "Tailor-Made Technology

    Among the products that Symbol will supply are its handheld barcode
    scanners, featuring the CyberPen, which combines the functionality of a
    contact memory barcode scanner with an A.T. Cross writing instrument. In
    addition, Symbol will provide its Spectrum24 High Rate Wireless LAN (local
    area network), which will be optimized to fit Wal-Mart's specific
    requirements.

    The devices will be designed to operate on the existing Wal-Mart wireless
    infrastructure, which includes barcode scanning and wireless printing
    capabilities. The Symbol products will be used in all of Wal-Mart's stores
    and clubs, with plans for expansion of certain functions, including voice
    and e-mail applications, under discussion."

    As a general comment to the people asking if this has been confirmed...  It
    has to my satisfaction, though I haven't whipped out the 802.11b card at
    any local stores myself.  I have reports, both on-list and private, that
    others have seen similar results, at many different stores.  I have some
    indication that some of the retailers have confirmed the situation, and are
    looking at fixes.  I'll post links to news stories as I get them.  If
    you're a reporter reading the list, please send me links to any stories
    you've written about this thread.

    						BB