Re: Wlan @ bestbuy is cleartext?

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 21:27:20 PDT

    On Wed, 01 May 2002 18:21:23 PDT, Jonathan Bloomquist said:
    > Corporate IT staff are paid to know better than to put
    > insecure technology into production and they need to
    > be held accountable if they make such a boneheaded
    > move.

    How many corporate networks have dumped Outlook so far?

    How many corporate sites still run IIS because a conversion to
    Apache would be even more costly than getting hacked every 2 months?

    It's *quite* possible that at least some of these IT staffers did
    the calculation: "Hmm... if we deploy this, we can expect $2M/year in
    writeoffs due to guys out in the parking lot with pringle-can yagis, but
    we'll save $4M/year, so we'll be ahead anyhow..."  It's all trade-offs,
    and nothing news to the big corporations - I'm *positive* that the master
    financial plan for Best Buy already has a line item for "write off 2.3%
    of all credit card transactions" and that such write-offs are a standard
    part of doing business.  They may decide that it's easier and cheaper to
    just raise their write-off margin to 2.7% rather than fix the problem....

    And factor *THIS* into the equation - let's say that Very Large Chain
    Q-Mart decides to run wireless without any security.  Perhaps they had
    a *reason*.  Like - if any security is disabled, you can deploy devices
    that can hop onto the net without any assistance - so it's safe to give
    these handheld scanners/etc to a $7/hour functional illiterate.  On the
    other hand, if security is enabled, it's quite possible for the device
    to get confused and be unable to talk.  This not only means that you've
    just idled the $7/hour worker until it's fixed, it means you need to find
    an actual *literate* and *competent* person, who's probably costing you
    a lot MORE than $7/hour, to unsnarl the mess and figure out what happened.

    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer
    				Virginia Tech