Re: Publishing Nimda Logs

From: Bernie Cosell (bernieat_private)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 14:51:12 PDT

    On 7 May 2002, at 13:49, Blue Boar wrote:

    > ... My
    > ISP gave me some sort of email address when I signed up for DSL, and I have
    > never once bothered to see if there is mail in there. ...

    And this is the *ISP's* problem?  Geez.  As if setting up your POP client
    to poll one more mailbox is a real burden [as opposed to the ISP having
    to handle tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands or more, of
    random customer mailing addresses, so as to spare you the burden].

    Nothing like taking laziness and trying make its consequences be someone
    else's problem, I guess.

    I can't speak for other ISPs, but I can tell you that the ISP I consult
    for assigns customers a mailbox when they get an account with us, and ALL
    'company' info is sent to that mailbox --- support notices, outage
    announcements, availability of softwre upgrades, virus and spam reports,
    etc, etc (they can have several mailboxes, but there is *always* a
    primary mailbox associated with every account, both individual and
    commercial).  I can't *imagine* a customer being so arrogant as to argue
    that they can't be bothered to monitor the mailbox and so we should
    change our support scripts and support procedures to accommodate them...
    what a hassle ... [and what should we do when a customer gives us
    "notreallymeat_private" and the mail bounces because they changed
    addresses and didn't tell us?  Now we have to deal with THAT bother.]
    Life's too short and ISP's have too much else to do.

      /Bernie\

    mailto:bernieat_private     Pearisburg, VA