RE: Publishing Nimda Logs

From: Emre Yildirim (emreat_private)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 18:49:05 PDT

    > You know what would be really cool?  A worm that installed Linux and/or
    >  Apache on those machines, while keeping all the previous settings,
    > such as  the webroot, and publisher permissions, all that good stuff.
    > No, I didn't  insinuate that it would be legal, not in the least, but
    > it would be cool!
    >
    > How about it?  Anyone out there care to knock together a script that'll
    >  pull IIS settings out of the registry, download and install Apache
    > with the  same settings, disable IIS, spend (since I've already pulled
    > all this other  crap out of my butt, lets see if we can find a number
    > also) 24 hours  scanning for other vulnerable hosts, and then restart
    > the machine?  I think  the only big challenge would be converting SSL
    > settings, and maybe,  ensuring the ASP files still work.  Although,
    > isn't there a module for  using ASP under Apache now?

    That is worse than infecting machines with a worm.  Some people still don't
    know much about Apache.  They'll just wake up one day and realize their
    server runs on different software, and reinstall IIS/Windows.  That costs
    time and money (some people could even get fired because of this).  It also
    creates lots of unnecessary confusion (i.e. people calling the FBI thinking
    they got hacked).  What about proprietary database software that was
    specifically written for IIS?  You'll just break things.

    The best solution is to educate people who use Microsoft products about
    security.  Most of these nimda servers don't even run web pages.  They're
    just DSL/cable hosts, where the owner decided to install windows on their
    computers, and doesnt have a clue that a webserver is running.  The ISPs
    should be more responsive to complaints as well -- it shouldn't require the
    media to blow things out of proportion to make people aware of problems like
    these.

    Just my $0.01 on this thread (which has been discussed/debated a zillion
    times by now).

    --
    Emre Yildirim, <insert job title here>
    emre.yildirimat_private | emreat_private