Re: Publishing Nimda Logs

From: Boyd Lynn Gerber (gerberbat_private)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 20:46:17 PDT

    On Tue, 7 May 2002, Deus, Attonbitus wrote:

    >   It is truly sad that so many people are still infected with Nimda. There
    >   is a company with my corporate ISP that I have notified 3 times now that
    >   they are attacking other systems. It seems they can't figure out how not
    >   to install Win2k/IIS5.0 while connected to the net. The sad thing is that
    >   this is a computer company.
    >
    >   I have seen a site where people have published the IP of the offending
    >   boxes for stuff like Nimda and CR. I am thinking about doing the same
    >   thing so that people can either use that information to block the IP's or
    >   to do whatever they want for that matter.
    >
    >   I'm curious to see how other feel about this. Is it:
    >
    >   1) Recommended. Go for it and publish the IP's and let the "Gods of IP"
    >   sort out the damage.
    >   2) A Bad Thing. These are innocent victims, and you will just have them be
    >   attacked by evil people.
    >   3) Boring. Who cares? It's Nimda, and an everyday part of life. Deal with
    >   it and ignore the logs.
    >
    >   If "1," then I was thinking of going with a "Hall of Shame" and providing
    >   ARIN look ups, contacts, and the whole bit. I could even allow other
    >   people to post logs there and stuff like that...
    >
    >   Input appreciated.

    The one problem is the ARIN is not up to date.  I have tried to get
    information removed.  I was the owner of some IP 8 years ago.  They have
    been infected, remove the virus and get infected again.  Every time their
    system gets messed up I get 30-50 emails telling me my machines are
    infected and that I need to do something about them.  I have not had any
    control for 8 years over these IPs.  I should not be responsible for them.
    So the ARIN reports are totally bogus.  I am sure others may also have
    this problem.

    Thanks,

    --
    Boyd Gerber <gerberbat_private>
    ZENEZ	3748 Valley Forge Road, Magna Utah  84044