RE: Publishing Nimda Logs

From: amonotod (amonotodat_private)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 07:06:28 PDT

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Silcock, Stephen [mailto:stephen_silcockat_private]
    Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2002 9:35 PM
    >I think many people are underestimating the potential for damage these
    >machines hold...
    <snip>
    >I now have as a result a list of about 2000 infected, and therefore
    >trivially exploitable hosts.  While some may be dynamic IP's and some may
    >not be as trivially exploitable as it seems; 2000 is a good ballpark
    >figure.
    >
    >I could; if I had the time and the inclination knock up a DDoS network
    >within the space of a day or two using that information - 2000 hosts is no
    >small number.
    <snip>
    >The machines need to be cleaned and set up securely.  If the people
    >running them can't do it they have no business having an internet
    >connection; they're a liabiltiy to the rest of the internet community...

    You know what would be really cool?  A worm that installed Linux and/or
    Apache on those machines, while keeping all the previous settings, such as
    the webroot, and publisher permissions, all that good stuff.  No, I didn't
    insinuate that it would be legal, not in the least, but it would be cool!

    How about it?  Anyone out there care to knock together a script that'll
    pull IIS settings out of the registry, download and install Apache with the
    same settings, disable IIS, spend (since I've already pulled all this other
    crap out of my butt, lets see if we can find a number also) 24 hours
    scanning for other vulnerable hosts, and then restart the machine?  I think
    the only big challenge would be converting SSL settings, and maybe,
    ensuring the ASP files still work.  Although, isn't there a module for
    using ASP under Apache now?

    Hmmm... Whatever...

    >S.   :)

    amonotod