RE: Publishing Nimda Logs

From: amonotod (amonotodat_private)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 07:49:28 PDT

    amonotod wrote:
    >You know what would be really cool?  A worm that installed Linux and/or
    >Apache on those machines, while keeping all the previous settings, such as
    <snip>
    >How about it?  Anyone out there care to knock together a script that'll
    >pull IIS settings out of the registry, download and install Apache with
    >the same settings, disable IIS, spend 24 hours scanning for other
    >vulnerable hosts, and then restart the machine?
    <snip>
    I have been chastised for being a Linux evangelist, which is funny, cause I
    don't actually use Linux, not yet.  Just to clarify my stance on the
    subject, I do agree that a Linux installing worm would be a very bad
    introduction to the OS, and most likely, bad publicity for the Linux
    community.  Plus, although I suggested installing Linux, along with Apache,
    did you notice that I talked about a script that only installed Apache, and
    then only after pulling all the IIS settings?  I suppose, however, it would
    be much safer overall if the script simply disabled all the IIS services
    and then restarted the machine.  This, however, could affect mail services
    for those that use the SMTP component, but oh-freakin-well.  There are
    those people who would say that if you're running a server which is
    vulnerable to an exploit for which there is a well publicized patch, then
    you deserve whatever happens.  I don't really agree with that, but I also
    don't disagree, if that makes sense.

    Wish me luck on my first real, workstation-install, use-it-or-lose-it,
    Linux box, which I'll be building this weekend.  I've played with Linux
    many times, as early as Slackware 3.0 on a 386sx20 with 2MB RAM, but now,
    it's time for me to start using Linux as my workstation, although I'm
    leaving the family workstation on Windows for the wife and kids (God forbid
    their Jumpstart games should stop working.)...

    amonotod

    --
      `\|||/                     amonotod@
       (@ @)                     netscape.net