Re: Publishing Nimda Logs

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 23:53:47 PDT

    On Wed, 08 May 2002 14:59:50 PDT, Jordan Frank <jfrankaat_private>  said:

    > In addition to all this, I have a legal question. Probably the wrong forum,
    > because it seems that most legal questions posed on this list are answered
    > by people with no legal background who make educated guesses, but here goes.
    > It is my understanding that, at least in Canada and the United States, there
    > are laws addressing the issue of monitoring private conversations and making
    > the contents of such conversations public. Are any of these laws directly
    > applicable to the situation we're discussing.

    IANAL, but.. ;)

    At least in the US, 18 USC 2511(2)(d) says:

    >  It shall not be unlawful under this chapter for a person not acting under
    > color of law to intercept a wire, oral, or electronic communication where such
    > person is a party to the communication or where one of the parties to the
    > communication has given prior consent to such interception unless such
    > communication is intercepted for the purpose of committing any criminal or
    > tortious act in violation of the Constitution or laws of the United States or
    > of any State.

    In other words, since it was your server, you're one of the parties, and
    unless there are *other* reasons prohibiting it, you're free to disclose
    the information - although I'd read that "unless" clause *carefully*, and then
    think about if you want to publish a list where skript kiddies can get it...
    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer