Phone Switches + telephone banking etc

From: quentynat_private
Date: Thu Jun 06 2002 - 08:53:35 PDT

    I was thinking today about phone switches, many of them are connected to
    the internal LAN. Many of them record all the keystrokes made by the
    individual phones (this is the important bit). If one could compromise a
    phone switch (or where ever it stores it's logs) then making free calls
    would be a minor issue. The prize in this situation could be who phoned
    what bank and if you can get the key presses then if that person has
    used the automated telephone banking service, you will have ( at a
    minimum):

     the account number
     sort code
     any verification number

    has any one done any work in this area ?

    I know many banks ( at least in the UK) will say not to use their
    service through cordless phones, maybe they should increase to include
    corporate phone switches.

    Quentyn Taylor
    Sysadmin - Fotango
    RFC 882 put the dot in .com.