Re: Plain text password for Microsoft (icwip.dun)

From: Blue Boar (BlueBoarat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 17:00:24 PDT

    >>From what I can tell from the little detail I have read is that the system
    > at both a hardware and software level will not run any program that is not
    > properly signed (or whatever).  So, in order to get your arbitrary code to
    > run, you need to be sure that the system will trust it -- which adds a bit
    > of complication to the whole process but definately doesn't make it
    > impossible.

    It's not quite "program" signing... if you're talking about using an
    overflow or similar to execute code, then you'd be executing code within
    the context of a program that had been approved, at least when it was loaded.

    One nice, real improvement that could be made to the x86 family is to have
    things like real read-only memory segments, real code and data seperation,
    etc... which is what you need to prevent overflows in hardware.

    						BB