RE: [7.8.2002 44916] Notice of Copyright Infringement

From: Dom De Vitto (domat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 12 2002 - 09:59:11 PDT

    Naa, because when it comes down to it, if "anyone" can download
    and decrypt from you, so can the MPAA stooges...

    A better system would be to distrubute (over many hosts) pieces
    which are not recognisable individually (e.g. bit0.bin, bit1,
    ...bit8.bin) and then distribute a recombination system.
    That would mean that you individually would have "0101010100",
    which they would have to prove was part of whatever.mpg....
    ...difficult, and harder to prove that _you_knew_ that's what it
    was!

    If the p2p network shares files in the same way gnutella shares
    directory listings, then the actual content would move dynamically
    around the network and only be recognisable using the recombination
    system (whatever that is).

    That's basically the way gnutella was meant to work, but they
    never got around to making the "content" distributed in the same
    way as the share lists. I guess it was because of performance issues,
    but maybe someone can take the final steps and make a gnutella app
    that can share your files by shoving the chunks around the gnutella
    network.....so you can disconnect and folks can still download hours
    or days later...

    Dom