Re: Assembler/C References

From: Ali Saifullah Khan (whipazat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 15 2002 - 20:28:07 PDT

    I'd recommend The "" Waite's Group : Turbo C++ Bible "" for " C " by author : Naba Barkakati.

    And for assembly, The Art of Assembly, which should turn up in a simple google search............and another excellent reference is " Assembly Language  for Intel-Based Computers " by author  " Kip R. Irvine " .

    These should be all that you need for an outstanding introduction as well as detailed study of C and assembly on the x86 platform.

    Cheers~

    Ali Saifullah Khan,
    Project Administrator,
    ConnPROBE Intrusion Detection System,
    Sourceforge OpenSource Developer Networks.

    --- yatima <sa7oriat_private> wrote:
    >y0h,
    >	I suggest that if you dont already code much you start
    >learning the basics of C. Books I can suggest are any of the "Learn C in
    >[insert time here]" books. Then maybe to get past the basics would be any
    >of the Richard Stevens' books. For ASM stuff, maybe try the Jeff
    >Duntemann Assembly language step-by-step book.If you want to understand
    >more x86 Asm  stuff along with logical design, I suggest looking at the
    >Donald E. Knuth books.
    >As far as Tfiles go, everyone is really quick to suggest the famed
    >phrack49 "fun and profit"  article, but the one that has met with the most
    >approval (of those I have  suggested resources to) is Mixter's paper on
    >Buffer Overflows for Beginners (use google) or
    >(http://community.core-sdi.com/~juliano/bufo.html)
    >As far as writing/understanding exploits goes, I suggest maybe starting
    >with format strings overflows as they are REALLY easy to do, and moving on
    >to other things....
    >good luck.
    >It is always refreshing to hear people humble themselves and ask not for
    >help but resources for how to learn. In this "industry/community" there is
    >WAY too much ego for so LITTLE talent.
    >

    >On Mon, 15 Jul 2002, Jeremy Junginger wrote:
    >
    >> n00b question:
    >>
    >> I'm diving into Assembler and C with the hopes of understanding
    >> application level exploits a little more in depth.  In your opinion,
    >> what are the most beneficial references/tutorials/threads/tools that
    >> helped you get started on your journeys to buffer-overflow-nirvana?
    >> I've read the Introduction to Buffer Overflow by Ghost Rider as well as
    >> the Buffer overflow how-to by Mudge, and both were very valuable.  GDB
    >> appears to be a very strong tool to assist with finding and exploiting
    >> overflows.  Any additional references out there?  Coding is a bit new to
    >> me...so like the human torch says..."Flame ON!!!"
    >>
    >> -Jeremy

    [ATTITUDEX.COM]
    http://www.attitudex.com/

    Promote your group and strengthen ties to your members with emailat_private by Everyone.net  http://www.everyone.net/?btn=tag