Re: Assembler/C References

From: Evan (elcoocooiat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 16 2002 - 09:32:54 PDT

    I'm currently looking for the exact same things you are: good references on C
    and Assembler.   I curious more about libnet and KLD's than buffer overflows,
    but that's not important.  Anyway, the best I've found so far are as follows:

    "Smashing the Stack for Fun and Profit" by Aleph1-  it's clearly written and,
    although it assumes a certain knowledge of assembler, makes sense without it.
    It made much more sense to me than mudge's tutorial from the old l0pht site.
    I have seen another essay floating around called "Advanced Buffer Overflows"
    or something logical like that, which purports to aid in writing exploits
    that do more than spawn a shell.  I haven't read it, personnally, but you
    might look around.

    "The C Programming Language: Second Edition" by Brian Kernighan and Dennis
    Ritchie-  the first (second?) and, in many opinions, still the best.  This
    book flat out assumes that you're already a "good" programmer, so if you
    don't at least know how an array works or what a function is good for, you
    might try starting somewhere else.  But the examples are challenging and
    relevant, the prose is clear, the reference section is solid, and the
    author's qualifications are unmatched: Dennis Ritchie invented C.  I don't
    know how well this book would work on anything but Un*x.

    I'm not so sure about general Assembler references.  I think that there's a
    Linux Assembler HOWTO floating around somewhere, so you might check that.  It
    seems a little short, though.

    Anyway, best of luck and let me know what you find.