shellcode -> asm?

From: Sean Zadig (seanzadigat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 08 2002 - 12:12:21 PDT

    Hi,
    I'm doing some research into creating variants of common attacks, but I ran
    into a problem of sorts. For most of the attacks I have, the shellcode
    consists of the overflow and the actual malicious code that is run. I want
    to be able to isolate the overflow from the rest of the shellcode and use
    that to create attack variants. Problem is, I don't know where one ends and
    the other begins! I figure if I turn the hex-encoded shellcode back into
    assembly code, I could probably figure it out. I'm familiar with how to do
    the reverse in gdb, but is it possible to do what I want? To restate:
    shellcode -> asm is what I need. If this is a simple thing, my apologies -
    but the security-basics list rejected my post =)
       -Sean Zadig

    -----
    Sean Zadig
    Student, UC Davis
    PGP Key ID: 0xDE44A79F
    7EE1 C80A A0C1 B224 45CE  F74B 5835 0115 DE44 A79F