Re: Covert Channels

From: Michal Zalewski (lcamtufat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 15:56:12 PDT

    On 23 Oct 2002, Frank Knobbe wrote:

    > I think it was Jose who used the example of a rogue broker accessing
    > websites in a certain order. While valid traffic, shouldn't it be
    > possible to detect that behavior?

    One more thing - look in your web logs. Quite frankly, I'd qualify many of
    my human visitors as covert channel agents or such. People reload pages
    with no purpose, often visit them several times in a row, click on same
    links a number of times, click on quite random links, some people have one
    hour delays, others just read first few words and have few second delays,
    list directories in each possible sort variant, mistype URLs five times in
    a row, even manage to append to URLs in their address bar... It's really
    next to impossible to profile it without having a model loose enough to
    miss even a lousy hidden covert channel. If your network has more than 100
    users, I think the only thing you'd achieve is identifying a number of
    normal users as a suspicious software, and completely missing low profile
    covert channel agents ;-)

    --
     Michal Zalewski * [http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx]