RE: Covert Channels

From: Omar Herrera (oherreraat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 16:32:06 PDT

    I understand what you say, to build something that detects patterns from
    known covert channel tools and I think it is possible "with some".

    I worry though that some types of covert channels (for example the ones
    relying on timing) can't be efficiently detected without prompting a
    high number of false positives and maybe this is what Michal is also
    worried about since this is different from IDS and AV: with some covert
    channels you will be able to send information in an unauthorized form
    through an authorized channel and protocol.

    For example, suppose there is a covert channel tool (and I think it does
    exist, I can't remember the name though) where I send messages out of my
    machine to a web server that constantly changes address and DNS name (to
    reduce repetition of that pattern) through the initial sequence number
    while establishing a TCP communication. Suppose we already know that
    this tool does no define a particular "dialect" so that you could match
    it to a pattern (say for example that you send an initial sequence
    number of 1000 if it is yes and 2000 if it is no). In this case, if the
    user is able to select any number and arbitrarily assign any meaning to
    each number I think it is extremely difficult to detect (I mean, to
    detect it you have to match it against something right?).

    Have you already thought of any way to build a tool to reduce this? The
    question here is also if the amount of CC tools out there whose activity
    can be matched against a pattern is big enough for the effort of
    building the tool and how long will it be before more advanced CC tools
    appear that are not detectable.

    If I did not misunderstand Michal, this is what he is referring about
    requiring an "Intelligence" in order to detect this kind of advanced CC
    tools.

    An alternative idea of developing a tool would be developing a service
    (supported by a tool) where some kind of experts analyze the traffic
    flow. Now, I also doubt this would be practical, apart of being
    extremely expensive and maybe only some organizations such as the NSA
    might see some benefit of implementing this (and this sounds to me more
    like intelligence/counterintelligence activity than simple information
    security work).

    Probably in more years for some specific environments where high
    confidentiality is required this service might be profitable but I
    wouldn't bet on it :-).

    Just some thoughts,

    Omar Herrera