Re: glibc glob_filename() recurse call stack overflow (Re[2]: Bash Blues)

From: Vladamir Shmirnov (red_vigilat_private)
Date: Sat Feb 15 2003 - 13:30:04 PST

      I came to the same deliberations, that it is in fact
    a bug in glibc.  In the bash source file
    lib/glob/glob.c, in functiong glob_filename(), the
    call to bcopy(3) with an extraordinarily long length
    of source string causes the crash.  However, I may
    note that although I haven't researched this it seems
    that it could possibly be a bug caused indirectly by
    the preceding call to alloca(3).

      If it is a problem with glibc then other programs
    are vulnerable, including SUID root, correct?  Also,
    if it is a problem with glibc, it is not exploitable
    from user space, or is it??  Does glibc share the
    stack with the user process?

        - Josh