RE: [ISN] Digital Destruction Was Worst Imaginable

From: InfoSec News (isnat_private)
Date: Sat Mar 09 2002 - 01:49:00 PST

    Forwarded from: covert_one <covert_oneat_private>

    I wholly disagree with Rob's comments, or at least his cut and paste
    of some sentator's comment. (we call this FUD, fear, uncertainy, and
    dispair, I sometimes call it Fu-ked Up Data) The problems of cellular
    communications during the WTC event was due to a massive amount of
    traffic, the problems of being unable to reach officers in the tower
    was due to field radio ranges, inside a building and 80 stories up.
    But to claim that the entire US was blind, deaf during the event is a
    massive overstatement. How did I get to watch the second airplane hit
    the second tower live?  Television. Did I have any problems using my
    cellphone, a landline, or using a radio or television in Michigan at
    9:10am on 9/11? Nope. I know of employees that managed to call loved
    ones in NYC, and even a person five miles from the penatgon with no
    problems on the landlines and cellular. More people hit the internet
    during this time for news reports as this event unfolded.

    The issue with commo is more of the realization that we need a
    separate band (radio or otherwise) for emergency units - sort of like
    a dispatcher asking officers to clear the air for an officer in
    trouble. I am all in favor of a .gov and .mil only network. To cry
    that the entire US was disabled by two buildings collasping in NYC
    would be laughable. Lets say the entire state of New York was removed
    from this planet, really how would that effect commo for the rest of
    the 50 states?

    To blame the FBI and NIPC shows an ignorance of what their purposes
    are. Cellular lines are own by private companies, fire departments
    spend money on commo based on their budgets and reasonable
    requirements for commo. It sounds like ugly prejudice to say the
    entire FBI and NIPC was all involved looking for some virus, thats
    like me saying, all blacks like watermelon and basketball.

    The worst digital event in history, hardly. Get the facts and stop
    spreading FUD.

    C0VERTl

         [[[[[[>-Contact C0VERTl-<]]]]]]

                AIM: C0VERT0NE
          Yahoo Messenger: C0VERTl
       Best Email: covert_oneat_private
       Feed Your Brain visit the Digital Nomad Website
       http://c0vertl.tripod.com/digital.htm

    -
    ISN is currently hosted by Attrition.org

    To unsubscribe email majordomoat_private with 'unsubscribe isn' in the BODY
    of the mail.