[IWAR] MER: IW attack on Jordan

From: Mark Hedges (hedgesat_private)
Date: Thu Feb 05 1998 - 15:59:11 PST

    Ann Rosenthal wrote:
    >One of the real dangers of waging  information warfare is believing
    >the propaganda you generate.

    I'll keep this in mind. I think this implies a difference between
    "propaganda" and "fact". Certainly a lot of propaganda is opinionated
    statement, but some is based on very clear fact. Much of Chomsky's
    "propaganda" is based on well-documented facts.

    Examples (my own):

    "CIA agents were photographed with and trained Contra generals. Some of
    these Contra officers later smuggled drugs into the United States for
    profit."
        - This appears to be a fact, based on journals, newspaper articles,
          the actual photographs, testimonies in Iran/Contra, etc.

    "CIA agents were photographed with and trained Contra drug smugglers who
    poisoned inner-city African Americans with the evil of crack."
        - This appears to be propaganda, because it implies the CIA agents
          trained the Contra generals for the purpose of suppressing the poor.
          Although facts _can_ be altered or "spun", the available facts do
          not appear to support proveable truth in this statement.

       1 CIA trained Contras
       2 Contras imported crack
       3 crack is evil

       False conclusion from (1,2,3):          CIA is evil

    Disbelieving propaganda is good; disbelieving proven fact is dangerous.

       1 CIA trained Contras
       2 Contras imported crack
       3 crack is evil

       Supportable conclusions from (1,2,3): 1 CIA should hire better generals
                                             2 crack-importing generals are evil

    As for me being "nervous" or taking things "personally", I suppose I just
    don't want to die. These subjects should be taken seriously, because they
    affect everyone. I'm annoyed when argument on such a serious subject in
    such a learned forum uses blatant ad hominems like "no longer uses Jr. in
    his name" and other statements which do not bear on the issue at hand.

    Is MER a good source of accurate information about the Middle East, or not?

    Mark Hedges