Serious bug in "radius" dialup authentication software

From: Phillip R. Jaenke (prjat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 20 1998 - 18:02:53 PST

    At work, we've discovered a *SERIOUS* bug in the "radius" dialup
    authentication software.

    Affected Platforms:
    WindowsNT (RadiusNT)
    Linux
    Solaris (x86)
    BSDi
    NetBSD
    OpenBSD
    FreeBSD

    Problem:
    If a user appends a certain amount of spaces after their username, Radius
    will crash, keeping users from logging in. We have been unable to
    determine the number of spaces, but it is above 5, and below the 'magic
    128' as we call it. I'd estimate it at around 32 spaces.

    Effects:
    100% of the time, Radius will crash. All platforms are affected. Multiple
    servers do not negate these effects, as most terminal servers, when the
    primary radius authentication server is not there, will switch over to the
    next one, which will get the same username, and crash, locking all
    customers out. This appears to affect ALL platforms, be it WindowsNT or a
    form of unix. It appears to be a bug in radius itself.

    A coworker has contacted the radius mailing lists. As soon as a fix is
    known, I will post it here.

    --Phillip R. Jaenke (prjat_private | prjat_private)
    Primary Developer, The Improvement Linux Project
    Core Team Member, The Cyberian RC5 Effort - http://www.cyberian.org/
    AKA Kaeyerai (Rediscovery) of MasterTechnoMonster
    Ketyra Designs, Inc. - Imagine Transmeta sans Linus. That's us. :)