Re: Microsoft Hotmail

From: Christopher Seawood (clsat_private)
Date: Tue Jan 26 1999 - 15:08:16 PST

    On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Daniel P. Stasinski wrote:

    > I contacted Microsoft/Hotmail asking them to close the account
    > of that was listed in the backdoored tcp wrapper source code.
    > I also forwarded the offending code.
    >
    > The word back from them is that they will not close it.  Theft
    > of passwords and hacking does not violate thier terms of
    > service.

    It doesn't? I don't have a hotmail account but I ran across the following:

    http://www.hotmail.com/cgi-bin/dasp/fm_shell.asp?head=Policy+and+Member+Conduct&content=nospam&back=svcs&from=svcs

    "The following is extracted from the Hotmail Terms of Service Agreement to
    which each Hotmail member must adhere. "

    "Member agrees: ... (2) not to use the Service for illegal purposes"

    "Attempts to gain unauthorized access to other computer systems are
    prohibited."

    It sounds like cracking (not hacking) is definitely a violation of their
    service agreement.  The real question is whether the receipt of the
    passwords is the same as the (illegal) use of the passwords.  A lot of
    admins will want to say yes (because of the security compromise) but I
    doubt the law sees it the same way.  (Wasn't there a case recently in
    Norway that covered this?)

    - cls