Re: Another Windows98 Bug...

From: Jensen Allan AJE (ajeat_private)
Date: Fri Feb 12 1999 - 01:53:00 PST

    Scott  (10-02-98  01:49):
    >I'm not sure about the details of this problem, but when testing another
    buffer overflow, I created a long filename called "testfile.txt
    "
    >(note the chr(160)'s at the end) It is 235 characters in length.  After
    creating it on my desktop, I right clicked on it; explorer crashed saying it
    caused an illegal operation.  the only way I found to close this was by using
    command.com  I sent this to a friend and he got the same error.

    I tried the same under Windows NT 4 Workstation SP3, except the file name
    length was only 225 bytes, called "hello.txt(lots of spaces)(chr(160))", and
    Explorer crashed as well here.

    It seems to be an Explorer-only bug, as no other application I've tried went
    down.

    Oh well, another buffer overflow..

    Allan Jensen         Scientific Atlanta Arcodan A/S Phone  +45 73122150
    System Administrator Augustenborg Landevej 7        Direct +45 73122154
    IT-Support           DK-6400 Sonderborg             Fax    +45 74423907
    ajeat_private        http://www.arcodan.com