Re: Netscape communicator 4.06J, 4.5J-4.6J, 4.61e Buffer Overflow

From: Kerb (kerbat_private)
Date: Mon Sep 06 1999 - 22:40:41 PDT

    I tried the URL for the notepad.exe on a Windows 95 (4.00.950a) machine,
    Pentium II 266 w/ 56 MB of RAM,
    using Netscape Communicator 4.05 Preview Release 1 (AWT 1.1.5) even though
    these are coded for Win98.  When I went
    there with NC 4.05, it gave me a blue screen of death that was completely
    unrecoverable.  I had to reboot the system.
    So, basically, it is a DoS for Netscape users, could possibly be coded into a
    CGI or Javascript that checks browser
    version and writes the corresponding exploit code.   Just a thought.

    -Kerb

    On Thursday, September 02, 1999 9:46 AM, DEF CON ZERO WINDOW