Re: Wmmon under FreeBSD

From: Dominic Mitchell (Dom.Mitchellat_private)
Date: Fri Dec 24 1999 - 12:27:01 PST

    On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 03:35:34PM -0500, Ajax wrote:
    > An alternative solution would be to read such information from kernfs,
    > usually (although optionally) mounted at /kern.  kernfs is the *bsd
    > equivalent to many of the files in linux's /proc.  This would, of
    > course, require the app to be rewritten to use /kern instead of
    > /dev/kmem, but well worth it in my opinion.
    >
    > I should like to know why more apps don't require the *bsd {proc,kern}fs
    > interface.  They were, after all, designed to reduce the need for read
    > access to /dev/kmem.

    Under modern BSD4.4, the preferred method is using sysctl(3),(8), as
    opposed to kernfs.
    --
    Dom Mitchell -- Palmer & Harvey McLane -- Unix Systems Administrator

        "EDLIN comes free with MS-DOS, and is expensive at the price."

    This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
    The email has been swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.

    www.palmerharvey.co.uk