Re: MacOSX 10.0.X Permissions uncorrectly set - I got it

From: Sandor W. Sklar (ssklarat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 14:29:41 PDT

    I think that the easiest way to determine which localizations have
    this problem is to look at:

    tar tvf
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Resources/LANGUAGE.lproj/user.gnutar

    ... where LANGUAGE is each of the supported languages.  In the
    English.lproj, one can see that the perms on the Desktop folder are
    set correctly.  Unfortunately, on my system, I've gone through and
    rm'd all of the non-English .lproj folders, so I cannot easily verify
    where the problem might lie.

    If the above is the problem though, then the simplest solution would
    be to untar the unser.gnutar file, change the perms to what is
    desired, and then retar the directory.

    -s-

    At 3:05 AM +0200 7/4/01, patpro wrote:

    >Well,
    >
    >after sending this mail I've given a try to my speculations and managed to
    >reproduce the permission corruption of Desktop. Here is step by step what
    >I've done :
    >

    >-1- booted an english install of OSX and logged in as admin User (english).
    >-2- added a user (test)
    >-3- logged out
    >-4- logged in as 'test'
    >-5- tuned OSX so that 'test' is a french user.
    >-6- logged out and in to check /Users/test/Desktop's permission : drwx------
    >
    >-7- logged out and logged in as root (english) (bad bad boy)
    >-8- set prefered language to french
    >-9- logged out and in to ensure everything will work in french
    >-10- added a user (test2)
    >-11- logged out
    >-12- logged in as 'test2' (everything looks english)
    >-13- checked /Users/test2/Desktop's permission : drwxrwxrwx
    >-14- TADAAAAM here we are !

    sandor w. sklar                |    Non impediti
    unix systems administrator     |         ratione
    stanford university itss-css   |     cogitatonus