Re: MacOSX 10.0.X Permissions uncorrectly set

From: Etaoin Shrdlu (shrdluat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 13:32:55 PDT

    patpro wrote:

    > le 30/06/01 11:20, gabriel rosenkoetter à grat_private a écrit :
    >
    > > Perhaps someone with both a beta and a release installer could test
    > > this theory by installing on a fresh machine first with the beta,
    > > adding a few users, making the upgrade, and adding a few more users,
    > > then wiping things out and installing just the release version?
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > after questioning few people about these permission corruption it's sounds
    > like it can happen even on a fresh install (not on top of a (erased) beta).
    >
    > for example, a user reports having rw set for everybody on every user's
    > desktop folder on a clean install. The same partition holds a French MacOS
    > 9.1, and OSX is very likely to be installed in French. He says he has not
    > installed "special" soft (Xfree or other hacks). Dev.Tools are installed.

    I do not believe that dev.tools are involved. I find that a clean
    install of MacOS X does not have these errors. I find that dual installs
    (i.e. 9.x and X) seem to be the culprit. The beta installs always
    involved 9.x (at least for us). The only errors of this type I've seen
    reported always seem to have the 9.x installations in common. I have
    also seen at least two instances of this problem where the installation
    of the software seemed to have been from a non-sanctioned copy.

    > Another user pointed out that it might be a localization bug. As it already
    > happened in the past, I'm likely to consider this option as a serious one.

    I do not believe it to be a localization bug, although I have only
    french (anecdotal) and u.s. versions to consider. I am thinking that it
    is due to the old-style MacOS permissions still present in 9.x and prior
    OS. I am very interested to hear if anyone has been able to recreate
    this problem with a pure MacOS X install on a fresh machine (i.e. one
    that does not have a 9.x or other partition).

    > So it leads me to the following question :
    >
    > does anybody using a pure english OSX install has noticed permission
    > corruption on his/her machine ? (no dev. release)
    >
    > By the way, I've gat 2 installs of OSX, both in english, one for test
    > purpose, the other quite clean, Dev.tools installed, no OS 9. None of these
    > have world r/w desktop.

    This is what I would expect. I run fix-files every time I install new
    patches from sun (because I know they'll have lax permissions). Mac
    users need to learn a little paranoia.

    --
    Real programmers disdain structured programming.  Structured
    programming is for compulsive neurotics who were prematurely