RE: True or False?

From: Mike Ellsworth (mellsworth@private)
Date: Mon Oct 15 2001 - 12:16:05 PDT

    False. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/klingerman_hoax.htm You should check such
    things out at www.snopes.com <http://www.snopes.com/>  before posting or
    forwarding.
    The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has recently received
    several inquiries concerning an e-mail message about people who have been
    infected with "Klingerman virus" after opening gift packages delivered to
    them in the mail. According to the e-mail message, a number of people became
    ill with a viral infection after handling a sponge contained in a package
    marked, "A gift for you from the Klingerman Foundation."
    The e-mail is a hoax. There is no "Klingerman virus," and the information in
    the e-mail notice is untrue. If you receive an e-mail message about
    "Klingerman virus," please do not forward it to others.
    Although the e-mail message is a hoax, if you are concerned about the
    contents of a package you receive in the mail, contact your local post
    office. It is a criminal offense to send potentially hazardous agents
    through the mail for the purpose of deliberately causing harm to human
    health. When such an incident occurs, the local emergency response system
    should be activated by dialing 911 in most communities; in communities
    without 911 systems, local law enforcement authorities should be notified.
    The local FBI field office and local and state public health authorities
    also should be notified.

    Mike Ellsworth
    Stratvantage Consulting, LLC
    8273 Westwood Hills Curve