RE: CRIME Kudos to Acting Police Chief Andrew Kirkland

From: Toby Kohlenberg (toby@private)
Date: Thu Nov 22 2001 - 15:49:40 PST

    Yah, he was completely out of line. I'm sure in 5 years when people
    disappear in the night because they disagree with the government everyone
    will still feel that it is better to give up your freedom than force
    the police and politicians to think before they act and justify their need
    to violate our rights.

    After all, someone could be planning to sneak a nail clipper through
    an airport and stab a planeful of people in the throat with it! And
    really, there isn't any hidden agenda behind using military tribunals to
    try people believed to have some connection to a terrorist organization!

    The non-citizens are the easy ones to find and watch right now (and it can
    be done without violating every right we have). The ones you need to be
    scared of are the ones who are citizens and are smart and methodical and
    have both time and resources sufficient to move slowly and intentionally.

    And no amount of face-recognition or fingerprint biometrics at the airport
    are going to catch them, neither is being able to detain people
    indefinitely on suspicion of being connected to a terrorist organization.

    It saddens me to see how frequently we are seeing the "We must Do
    Something! This is Something, therefore we must Do It!" logic used. And
    the newest trend seems to be lashing out at people who question the
    governments current path (or point out the presidents many flaws) and
    calling them "unpatriotic"!