Re: Proposed CRIME List Charter

From: sarah@private
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 16:26:40 PST

    As the owner of the CRIME majordomo I'd like to make a few comments.

    As far as a moderator.  Not a bad idea but I am not willing
    to take this on.  Some of the posts are timely, i.e, early
    heads up on new viruses.  A good moderator has to have the time
    to turn email around fast - I'm not in a position to do this.
    That doesn't mean someone else can't have the job ...

    On a charter - One of the strengths of CRIME is that it is to
    some extent, malleable, in that new ideas, concepts, directions can
    be explored.  A charter, once adopted, runs the risk of being
    inflexible when, in fact, flexibility is desired.  It is also not
    clear that a charter will eliminate the the time consuming meta
    discussions on the appropriateness of posts or just replace these with
    debates about whether or not an email is in or out of bounds (with resp.
    to the charter) or calls for the charter to be modified.  This is a
    "pick your poison" issues.  Unfortunately, there will be periodic debate
    about the nature of posts with or without a charter.

    The general idea seems to be "How can the CRIME list be fixed?".
    Personally, I'm not convinced it's broken.  Over the last few years
    the list has engaged in only a few discussions that have resulted in
    loud protest either to the list directly or via unsubscription.  I'm
    willing to wait and see if this is going to be a trend or not.  In general,
    I find the overwhelming number of post to be reasonable; the subscribers
    thoughful and professional.

    Sarah