Re: CRIME Monitoring software removal

From: Lyle Leavitt (lylel@private)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 16:58:32 PDT

    Heidi,

    Leave it to the privacy advocates to dig their teeth into this one.
    Check out this link and email the author. I'm sure s/he would be more
    than happy to help you rip that program from your hard drive by its
    boot straps.

    http://www.megasecurity.org/Info/doc/winwhatwhere.htm

    -Lyle

    Heidi Henry wrote:
    Does anyone have any tips on how to locate and completely remove
    monitoring software that has been installed in a stealth
    configuration?  I was able to locate the program once, and thought I
    had deleted it from the registry, however, after a number of reboots,
    the program has shown itself again, but it cannot be located in the
    registry as before.  After further research, the program is designed
    to change its name/extensions, so it is difficult to identify.  I did
    a search using $, which evidently is used for hiding the program, but
    I could not locate it a second time.  I have contacted the software
    vendor as I originally I was able to identify the software
    manufacture, but have not heard back from them yet.  The vendor FAQ
    states it cannot be removed without the originating computer or CD,
    i.e., the target computer cannot remove it.  The program  is
    Winwhatwhere.  If this were placed on a computer legally, wouldn't it
    have to be done with a search warrant? This is a private PC, not on a
    network or in a work place.  Thanks for any suggestions you might
    have, Heidi e-mail: mcps@private