Re: CRIME Archive of list on the web

From: nospam22@private
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 17:38:27 PDT

    Comments inline....

    Greg KH wrote:

    > Mailing lists are generally public.

    But not always.  You're making my point for me.  :)
    The list FAQ should have a pointer to the archive if
    there is one.  There should have been discussion or
    notification.  James W. Abendschan should have asked
    if it was okay.

    > Who's to say I'm not running a
    > email harvester on the list, hiding as a real
    subscriber?

    Then you'd be flogged!

    > If you don't
    > personally know every person on the list, treat it
    as a public message.

    Well, actually, I treat it as an email that could be
    forwarded to F---edCompany.com.  :)

    > This motto has helped me out immensely, now that my
    old alt.surfing and
    > alt.skateboard posts from the late 1980's are now
    public in the Google
    > archive :)

    Ha!  I hear ya.  Check the goofball known as
    selam@private  :)

    > Besides, what's the use of a public forum, if people
    don't participate
    > in a public way (yes, you could argue about the
    whole pseudonym style of
    > forum, but how do I know your name is "Scott"
    anyway?)

    Huh?  I don't see how that would change anything since
    people weren't aware of the archive.

    > Let go of your "feelings of control" over your email
    address, unless you
    > want to just filter on everyone you do not know in
    the first place.

    Good point.  I completely agree.  However, I reserve
    the right to inform folks that their formerly
    pseudo-private emails are now available via Google and
    complain to the person <jwa@private> who felt it
    was okay to put up the archive without asking anyone.

    > You get sent spam that people want you to deal with?

    Yep.  And other things.  Spam filters have false
    positives.  I can't afford to have heuristics decide
    an email regarding filtering spam is spam.

    > SA works great, you don't have to have it delete all
    of the stuff it
    > tags as spam, it can be sent to a different folder,
    for later viewing.
    > It also has a very flexible "white list" feature to
    handle stuff from
    > people you know are "good" and you accept stuff that
    might look like
    > spam from.

    Nifty, but not practical for my situation.

    Cheers, Scott