Re: CRIME Archive of list on the web

From: Crispin Cowan (crispin@private)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 13:59:17 PDT

    Zot O'Connor wrote:

    >1)  Read the thread all the way before replying!  There have been a
    >number of questions asked when the answers were given.

    CRIME has at least a 30 minute delay between submitting a post and the
    post appearing. It is likely that Seth had not seen George's post at the
    time Seth posted.

    This delay is because Majordomo blows. Mailman can post to 500 people in
    a few minutes, while Majordomo can take 45 minutes to do the same task.

    >Therefore I ask that no archives of the CRIME list be published without
    >some form of protection (anonimizing/email munging), and that you
    >announce those archives on the list periodically.

    Mailman would take care of this for us, too:

        * creates a nice, threaded archive of the list
        * lets you control access to the list, so that only subscribers can
          read the archive
        * optionally munges e-mail addresses
        * bonus: Mailman can be configured to allow only subscribers to
          post, which stops nearly 100% of spam sent to the list

    Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.