RE: CRIME Re: TIPS

From: Todd Ellner (tellner@private)
Date: Thu Jul 18 2002 - 17:53:02 PDT

    <<I'm very interested in CRIME members perspective. This program was handed
    to the Coast Guard's National Response Center by US DOJ to field the phone
    calls from the public. I'll have to reserve my comments for now, but please
    take a look at the program and let me know what you think.>>

    One notes that the percentage of internal spies - sorry, but my fingers
    would simply snap off if I tried to type the official euphemisms - proposed
    is somewhat higher than that used by the STASI at the height of its power.

    My SOP is going to be something like this from now on...

    Nobody who is an informant under the TIPS program will be allowed onto my
    property. There will be signs posted to that effect. And contracts to be
    signed if it seems appropriate. When one considers that under the USAPatriot
    act that any illegal activity which "has the appearance" of coercing the
    government is now terrorism, well, let's just say that most of us could
    probably be tossed in the oubliette.

    Of course this may all be moot. Someone with legal training will have to correct me, but when the Prez said the words "state of emergency" and "partial mobilization" didn't it have pretty much the same effect as Sauron putting on the Ring from a civil liberties perspective?